|Innovating The Next Big Thing||October 1, 2014|
• Air & Space
• Marine & Submarine
• Trains & Trolleys
• Bikes & Scooters
• Reader Reactions
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
NASA News Feed
• Ghost City
Global Voices Online: India, Pakistan Missile Launches: Game Changers or Mere Posturing?
May 8, 2012 – Aparna Ray
On April 19, 2012, India successfully test-fired its Agni V inter-continental ballistic missile (IBCM). With a range of over 5,000 kilometres, the Agni V places India’s missile capabilities increasingly in line with the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France and China. The following week, neighboring Pakistan successfully test-launched its nuclear capable ballistic missile, the Shaheen 1-A.
These back-to-back missile tests received widespread coverage and comment on mainstream and social media outlets. In particular, netizens have been engaging in lively online discussions regarding the escalating arms race in South Asia and its impact on the overall security of the region.
While many netizens across India and Pakistan, fuelled with nationalistic fervor, engaged in hyperbole regarding the respective missile launches, there has been some strong criticism in the Pakistani blogosphere regarding the United States’ response to India's missile launch. Labeling it as “double standards”, Yasmeen Ali, a university professor based in Lahore, wrote on Pakpotpourri2's blog:
However, a section of netizens felt that these missile tests were not going to escalate security tensions among India, China and Pakistan. On his blog Chaturanga, Jaideep Prabhu pointed out that India's policy was to acquire a ‘minimum credible deterrent' and not to escalate an arms race, as was being loosely discussed in a section of the media.
On the blog Rolan San Juan, Rajesh Basrur, a Senior Fellow and the Coordinator of the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), argued that the Agni-V launch was “inconsequential” in that it would not change India's “deterrence game vis-à-vis China.
In his post on The Christian Science Monitor, Scott Baldauf referred to the chain of events as ‘ritual aggression' between India and Pakistan, a posturing more out of habit than actual security concerns, especially given that the two countries were currently trying to develop closer ties.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Air & Space articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 8/25 NASA News: NASA Awards Contract Option on Test and Operations Support Contract
• 8/25 NASA News: Space Station Astronauts to Speak with California Elementary School Students
• 8/22 NASA News: NASA Awards Research Facilities and Engineering Support Services Contract
• 8/22 NASA News: NASA Picks Top Earth Data Challenge Ideas, Opens Call for Climate Apps
• 8/21 NASA News: NASA and Commercial Partners Review Summer of Advancements
• 8/21 NASA News: NASA Selects 26 Space Biology Research Proposals
• 8/21 NASA News: NASA Awards Program Analysis and Control Bridge III Contract
• 8/21 NASA News: NASA TV to Air Events That Highlight Pluto-Bound Spacecraft
• 8/20 US DOT News: U.S. Department of Transportation Unveils New, Free, Online Search Tool for Recalls Using Vehicle Identification Number
• 8/20 NASA News: NASA Announces Awards to Expand Informal STEM Education Network
• 8/20 NASA News: Ozone-Depleting Compound Persists, NASA Research Shows
• 8/20 NASA News: Media Day at Wallops for NASA Hurricane Airborne Mission
• 8/19 NASA News: NASA to Air Panel Discussion about Ancient Earth and Habitable Planets
• 8/18 US DOT News: Safety Advisory: Students and Motorists Reminded to Be Safety Conscious In and Around School Zones and Bus Stops
• 8/18 NASA News: NASA Selects Texas State University to Provide Educator Professional Development
• 8/18 NASA News: NASA Awards Modification to Engineering and Science Services Contract
• 8/18 NASA News: NASA's RXTE Satellite Decodes the Rhythm of an Unusual Black Hole
• 8/7 US DOT News: Hyundai Agrees to Pay $17.35 Million Fine in Brake Defect Case
• 7/25 NASA News: NASAs Mars Spacecraft Maneuvers to Prepare for Close Comet Flyby
• 7/25 US DOT News: U.S. Department of Transportation Fines Turkish Airlines Over Late, Incomplete Responses to Consumer Complaints
• 7/24 NASA News: Hubble Finds Three Surprisingly Dry Exoplanets
• 7/24 NASA News: Satellite Study Reveals Parched U.S. West Using Up Underground Water
• 7/24 NASA News: NASA Selects Contract for Mission Support Services at Ames
• 7/23 NASA News: NASA TV Coverage Set For European Cargo Ship Launch to Space Station
• 7/23 NASA News: NASA Seeks Proposals for Commercial Mars Data Relay Satellites
• 7/22 NASA News: NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory Celebrates 15th Anniversary
• 7/18 NASA News: NASA Updates Apollo Anniversary, Next Giant Leap Events
• 7/17 NASA News: NASA Begins Engine Test Project for Space Launch System Rocket
• 7/16 NASA News: International Undersea Crew Available for Live Satellite Interviews
• 7/15 NASA News: NASA Turns Over Next-Generation Air Traffic Management Tool to Federal Aviation Administration
• 7/14 NASA News: NASA to Hold Briefing on Ocean Ecology, Carbon Cycle Field Campaign
• 7/14 NASA News: NASA Honors Historic First Moon Landing, Eyes First Mars Mission
• 7/11 NASA News: NASA Extends Mechanical Systems Engineering Services Contract
• 7/10 NASA News: Hubble Spots Spiral Bridge of Young Stars Linking Two Ancient Galaxies
• 7/9 NASA News: NASA Announces Winners of Challenge to Design Hurricane-Tracking Uncrewed Aerial Systems
• 7/3 NASA News: NASA Television Coverage Set for Orbital-2 Mission to Space Station
• 7/2 NASA News: Ocean on Saturn Moon Could be as Salty as the Dead Sea
• 7/2 US DOT News: U.S. Department of Transportation Expands Air Carrier Reporting Requirements for Incidents Involving Animals During Air Transport
• 6/23 Amtrak News: TAKE THE KIDS OUT OF TOWN FOR FREE THIS SUMMER
• 6/23 Amtrak News: AMTRAK PARTICIPATES IN NYC PRIDE FESTIVAL
• 6/23 USN News: Boy Scout Inspired by Naval Hospital Bremerton Optometrist and Aided by NHB Biomedical Repair Tech
• 6/23 USN News: Cheatham Annex Celebrates 71 Years of Service to Fleet, Family and Fighters
• 6/23 USN News: The Driving Force of George Washington
• 6/23 USN News: Sexual Assault Reports Week of June 9 -15
• 6/23 USN News: Skilled, Motivated Machinist's Mate Propels GW Forward
• 6/23 USN News: "The Last to Let You Down:" The Ascension of the Aircrew Survival Equipmentman Rating
• 6/23 USN News: Health Care Heroes Awards Honors Humble Hero from Naval Hospital Bremerton
• 6/23 NASA News: NASA Kicks off New Space Station Exhibit with Live Space Chat with San Diego Students
• 6/23 US DOT News: 1st Quarter 2014 Airline Financial Data
• 6/20 Bombardier Transportation News: Bombardier Wins Fleet Maintenance Contract with Virgin Trains for West Coast Franchise