|Innovating The Next Big Thing||July 24, 2014|
• Air & Space
• Marine & Submarine
• Trains & Trolleys
• Bikes & Scooters
• Reader Reactions
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
NASA News Feed
• Ghost City
Global Voices Online: India, Pakistan Missile Launches: Game Changers or Mere Posturing?
May 8, 2012 – Aparna Ray
On April 19, 2012, India successfully test-fired its Agni V inter-continental ballistic missile (IBCM). With a range of over 5,000 kilometres, the Agni V places India’s missile capabilities increasingly in line with the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France and China. The following week, neighboring Pakistan successfully test-launched its nuclear capable ballistic missile, the Shaheen 1-A.
These back-to-back missile tests received widespread coverage and comment on mainstream and social media outlets. In particular, netizens have been engaging in lively online discussions regarding the escalating arms race in South Asia and its impact on the overall security of the region.
While many netizens across India and Pakistan, fuelled with nationalistic fervor, engaged in hyperbole regarding the respective missile launches, there has been some strong criticism in the Pakistani blogosphere regarding the United States’ response to India's missile launch. Labeling it as “double standards”, Yasmeen Ali, a university professor based in Lahore, wrote on Pakpotpourri2's blog:
However, a section of netizens felt that these missile tests were not going to escalate security tensions among India, China and Pakistan. On his blog Chaturanga, Jaideep Prabhu pointed out that India's policy was to acquire a ‘minimum credible deterrent' and not to escalate an arms race, as was being loosely discussed in a section of the media.
On the blog Rolan San Juan, Rajesh Basrur, a Senior Fellow and the Coordinator of the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), argued that the Agni-V launch was “inconsequential” in that it would not change India's “deterrence game vis-à-vis China.
In his post on The Christian Science Monitor, Scott Baldauf referred to the chain of events as ‘ritual aggression' between India and Pakistan, a posturing more out of habit than actual security concerns, especially given that the two countries were currently trying to develop closer ties.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Air & Space articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 6/23 Amtrak News: TAKE THE KIDS OUT OF TOWN FOR FREE THIS SUMMER
• 6/23 Amtrak News: AMTRAK PARTICIPATES IN NYC PRIDE FESTIVAL
• 6/23 USN News: Boy Scout Inspired by Naval Hospital Bremerton Optometrist and Aided by NHB Biomedical Repair Tech
• 6/23 USN News: Cheatham Annex Celebrates 71 Years of Service to Fleet, Family and Fighters
• 6/23 USN News: The Driving Force of George Washington
• 6/23 USN News: Sexual Assault Reports Week of June 9 -15
• 6/23 USN News: Skilled, Motivated Machinist's Mate Propels GW Forward
• 6/23 USN News: "The Last to Let You Down:" The Ascension of the Aircrew Survival Equipmentman Rating
• 6/23 USN News: Health Care Heroes Awards Honors Humble Hero from Naval Hospital Bremerton
• 6/23 NASA News: NASA Kicks off New Space Station Exhibit with Live Space Chat with San Diego Students
• 6/23 US DOT News: 1st Quarter 2014 Airline Financial Data
• 6/20 Bombardier Transportation News: Bombardier Wins Fleet Maintenance Contract with Virgin Trains for West Coast Franchise
• 6/19 USN News: Lincoln Sailor Saves Navy $136,000
• 6/19 USN News: Navy Civilians Engage in "Flash Mentoring" to Overcome Career Challenges as Asian American & Pacific Islanders
• 6/19 NASA News: Swiftly Moving Gas Streamer Eclipses Supermassive Black Hole
• 6/19 NASA News: NASA, Partners Announce Top Achievements in Space Station Research
• 6/19 NASA News: NASA Invites Public Comment on Mars 2020 Draft Environmental Impact Statement
• 6/19 NASA News: NASA Announces Latest Progress, Upcoming Milestones in Hunt for Asteroids
• 6/19 NASA News: NASA's Hubble Finds Dwarf Galaxies Formed More Than Their Fair Share of Universe's Stars
• 6/19 US DOT News: April 2014 Passenger Airline Employment Data
• 6/18 USN News: Baltic Operations 2014: 'The differences that make us great'
• 6/18 USN News: Vice Adm. Braun Visits NOSC Boise
• 6/18 NASA News: NASA Announces Award Recipients for Space Station Research Flight Opportunity
• 6/18 NASA News: NASA Astronauts David Leestma and Andrew Thomas Retire
• 6/18 US DOT News: NextGen Delivering Promised Efficiency for Airlines and Passengers Traveling through Houston Area
• 6/17 Amtrak News: AMTRAK LAUNCHES NATIONAL FARE SALE
• 6/17 Amtrak News: AMTRAK LONG-DISTANCE EQUIPMENT ORDER ADVANCES TO KEY MILESTONE
• 6/17 USN News: Hair Styling Lieutenant Helps Her Fellow Sailors Look Good, Stay in Regs
• 6/17 NASA News: NASA Aeronautics Makes Strides to Bring Back Supersonic Passenger Travel
• 6/16 USCG News: DOUBLE HULL TANKER ESCORT FINAL RULE PUBLISHED IN FEDERAL REGISTER
• 6/16 US DOT News: U.S. Department of Transportation Attends Rechristening of USMMA’s Kings Pointer
• 6/16 NASA News: Rocket Week Launches June 21 at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility
• 6/16 NASA News: NASA Update to Highlight Progress, Upcoming Milestones for Asteroid Redirect Mission, Observation, Grand Challenge
• 6/16 NASA News: NASA Hubble to Begin Search Beyond Pluto for a New Horizons Mission Target
• 6/16 NASA News: NASA Sets Media Events for OCO-2 Launch from California
• 6/13 MARAD News: MARAD Announces Call for Projects for America’s Marine Highways
• 6/13 US DOT News: MARAD Announces Call for Projects for America’s Marine Highways
• 6/13 NASA News: Space Station Astronauts Speak Live to Students in Virginia
• 6/12 Amtrak News: TAKE AMTRAK TO OR FROM FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS SHOWS
• 6/12 USCG News: U.S. COAST GUARD RELEASES REPORT OF INVESTIGATION OF THE SINKING OF THE TALL SHIP BOUNTY
• 6/12 NASA News: NASA TV to Air Space Station Russian Spacewalk
• 6/12 NASA News: New NASA Space Observatory to Study Carbon Conundrums
• 6/12 NASA News: Media Invited to View Orion Flight Test Prelaunch Progress with NASA Administrator
• 6/12 US DOT News: March 2014 U.S. Airline Traffic Data
• 6/11 Amtrak News: AMTRAK WEBSITE NOW OFFERS CHINESE-LANGUAGE VERSION
• 6/11 USNRL News: Inspired by Combat Amputees, NRL is First to Image Cell Protein Secretions in Real-Time
• 6/11 NASA News: NASA Selects Five Projects for 2015 X-Hab Academic Innovation Challenge
• 6/11 NASA News: NASA Sets Media Teleconference on Status of Landing Technology Hawaiian Test Flight
• 6/10 Amtrak News: NEW PASSENGER INFORMATION DISPLAYS ARE THE LATEST IMPROVEMENTS AT BALTIMORE PENN STATION
• 6/10 USCG News: U.S. COAST GUARD ANNOUNCES MORE THAN $4.8 MILLION IN NATIONAL NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION GRANT AWARDS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATING SAFETY