|Innovating The Next Big Thing||January 29, 2015|
• Air & Space
• Marine & Submarine
• Trains & Trolleys
• Bikes & Scooters
• Reader Reactions
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
NASA News Feed
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
Global Voices Online: India, Pakistan Missile Launches: Game Changers or Mere Posturing?
May 8, 2012 – Aparna Ray
On April 19, 2012, India successfully test-fired its Agni V inter-continental ballistic missile (IBCM). With a range of over 5,000 kilometres, the Agni V places India’s missile capabilities increasingly in line with the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France and China. The following week, neighboring Pakistan successfully test-launched its nuclear capable ballistic missile, the Shaheen 1-A.
These back-to-back missile tests received widespread coverage and comment on mainstream and social media outlets. In particular, netizens have been engaging in lively online discussions regarding the escalating arms race in South Asia and its impact on the overall security of the region.
While many netizens across India and Pakistan, fuelled with nationalistic fervor, engaged in hyperbole regarding the respective missile launches, there has been some strong criticism in the Pakistani blogosphere regarding the United States’ response to India's missile launch. Labeling it as “double standards”, Yasmeen Ali, a university professor based in Lahore, wrote on Pakpotpourri2's blog:
However, a section of netizens felt that these missile tests were not going to escalate security tensions among India, China and Pakistan. On his blog Chaturanga, Jaideep Prabhu pointed out that India's policy was to acquire a ‘minimum credible deterrent' and not to escalate an arms race, as was being loosely discussed in a section of the media.
On the blog Rolan San Juan, Rajesh Basrur, a Senior Fellow and the Coordinator of the South Asia Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), argued that the Agni-V launch was “inconsequential” in that it would not change India's “deterrence game vis-à-vis China.
In his post on The Christian Science Monitor, Scott Baldauf referred to the chain of events as ‘ritual aggression' between India and Pakistan, a posturing more out of habit than actual security concerns, especially given that the two countries were currently trying to develop closer ties.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Air & Space articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 1/8 NASA News: Space Station Crew Available for Interviews Live from Orbiting Laboratory
• 1/8 NASA News: NASA Satellite Set to Get the Dirt on Soil Moisture
• 1/8 Amtrak News: AMTRAK GUEST REWARDS MEMBERS CAN EARN A FREE ROUNDTRIP THROUGH FEB. 28
• 1/8 NASA News: NASA Holds Teleconference on NuSTAR Discovery
• 1/7 Amtrak News: SAVE SOME GREEN AND BEAT WINTER BLUES ON AMTRAK
• 1/7 NASA News: NASA Announces Briefing on New Mission to Track Water in Earth’s SoilNASA, SpaceX Set New Launch Date for Next Resupply Mission to Space Station
• 1/7 NASA News: NASA Previews Yearlong Space Station Mission in Jan. 15 Briefing
• 1/7 US DOT News: U.S. Transportation Secretary Foxx Announces $500,000 in Emergency Relief Funds for Washington State
• 1/6 US DOT News: U.S. Transportation Secretary Foxx Announces $996 Million Grant Agreement to Expand Green Line Light Rail Service in Boston Area
• 1/6 USNRL News: NASA Confirms ICON Mission: NRL's MIGHTI Prepares for Flight
• 1/6 NASA News: NASA’s Kepler Marks 1,000th Exoplanet Discovery, Uncovers More Small Worlds in Habitable Zones
• 1/6 NASA News: NASA Administrator, Media Tour Bally, Pa. Advanced Materials Manufacturer Jan. 9
• 1/5 Amtrak News: AMTRAK TAKES PARKING DIGITAL WITH PARKING PANDA
• 1/5 NASA News: NASA Announces Briefing on New Mission to Track Water in Earth’s Soil
• 1/5 NASA News: NASA Statement on GAO Decision to Deny Commercial Crew Contract Protest
• 1/5 NASA News: Student Scientists Persevere, Ready to Launch Experiments to Space Station
• 1/5 NASA News: NASA’s Chandra Detects Record-Breaking Outburst from Milky Way’s Black Hole
• 1/5 US DOT News: Federal Highway Administration On Hand to Kick Off Sarah Mildred Long Bridge Replacement Project
• 12/31 NASA News: NASA Highlights Astrophysics Discoveries at American Astronomical Society Meeting
• 12/31 US DOT News: News Digest 113-14
• 12/30 CalHSR News: High-Speed Rail Groundbreaking Ceremony on January 6
• 12/30 Amtrak News: RING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH $15 DOWNEASTER FARES
• 12/30 US DOT News: Section 403, FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, finalized!
• 12/30 USCG News: NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING BY U.S. COAST GUARD FOCUSES ON SEAFARERS' ACCESS TO MARITIME FACILITIES
• 12/29 Bombardier Transportation News: Bombardier to Supply 42 Regio 2N Double-Deck Trains to STIF and SNCF
• 12/29 NASA News: NASA Updates Pre-Launch Briefings for Upcoming Resupply Mission to Space Station
• 12/24 US DOT News: FHWA Requesting Credible Data on Safety of ET-Plus Guardrail End Terminal
• 12/23 Amtrak News: AMTRAK EMPIRE BUILDER BACK TO NORMAL SCHEDULE
• 12/23 US DOT News: U.S. Department of Transportation’s Aviation Enforcement Office Files Complaint Against Delta Air Lines for Code-Share Disclosure Violations
• 12/23 NASA News: NASA Selects Commercial Space Partners for Collaborative Partnerships
• 12/23 US DOT News: NHTSA Advises Motorists to Drive Safely This Holiday Season
• 12/22 Amtrak News: MORE CONNECTIONS TO THE AMTRAK NETWORK IN INDIANA, OHIO, KENTUCKY AND TENNESSEE
• 12/22 Amtrak News: AMTRAK PROMOTES RAIL SAFETY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS
• 12/22 Amtrak News: AMTRAK PARTNERS WITH NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE TO POWER USA WARRIORS GAME
• 12/22 NASA News: NASA Commercial Crew Partners Complete 23 Milestones in 2014, Look Ahead to 2015
• 12/22 NASA News: NASA Takes Giant Leaps on the Journey to Mars, Eyes Our Home Planet and the Distant Universe, Tests Technologies and Improves the Skies Above in 2014
• 12/19 CalHSR News: High-Speed Rail Authority and City of Bakersfield Reach Settlement Agreement
• 12/19 MARAD News: MARAD Releases Report on U.S.-flagged Articulated & Integrated Tug-Barge Units
• 12/19 MARAD News: MARAD Issues for Public Comment the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Port Ambrose Deepwater Port License application
• 12/19 NASA News: SpaceX Completes First Milestone for Commercial Crew Transportation System
• 12/19 NASA News: Video Gives Astronaut’s-Eye View Inside NASA’s Orion Spacecraft
• 12/18 Amtrak News: AMTRAK EXPANDS DISCOUNT ON PROGRAM FOR VETERANS
• 12/18 MARAD News: Maritime Administrator Jaenichen Tours Port of Brownsville, Local Vessel Recyclers
• 12/18 USNRL News: NRL Researchers Demo TREC Ship-to-Shore Data Link
• 12/18 NASA News: NASA’s Kepler Reborn, Makes First Exoplanet Find of New Mission
• 12/18 NASA News: NASA’s Orion Arrives Back at Kennedy, Media Invited to View Spacecraft
• 12/17 US DOT News: October 2014 Passenger Airline Employment Data
• 12/17 NASA News: NASA to Discuss Today Asteroid Redirect Mission Capture Concept, Next Step in Journey to Mars
• 12/16 Amtrak News: PASSENGER COMMUNICATION IMPROVEMENT PROJECT COMPLETED AT WASHINGTON UNION STATION
• 12/16 Bombardier Transportation News: Bombardier Wins 10-Year Fleet Maintenance Contract with Trenitalia